Wednesday, November 09, 2005

ArNOld


Well, well, well...we had a little "referendum on the governor" yesterday and how did it all turn out? Well let me just say that it appears that the bloom is off the rose, this ship has sailed, the honeymoon's over, the fat lady has sung, the horse has left the barn, the fruit has fallen from the tree, the milk has curdled and the actor who wanted to be governor has lost every single one of his pet initiatives.

I'm kinda proud of my home state again. One gets the feeling that we're finally waking up and saying "we elected WHO to be our governor?!?!"
(full disclosure...I did NOT vote for him)

Interesting breakdowns of the voting caught my eye. We always hear about the 2 Californias, Northern and Southern, but looking at the vote results maps, one could safely say that the split is between the coastal cities and the rural interior.
Or the educated populated areas versus the lonely hicks out in the sticks.
Ok...that's a cheap shot and not quite accurate so I take that back.
San Diego and Orange Counties provide the exception to this generalization, so it's not just where the colleges are located...just the good ones. (rim shot!)
(ok, another disclosure, the wife and I both graduated from San Diego State)

I'm not too sure what all these vote results mean, besides people not liking Arnold like they used to, so I'll wait and see how this all plays out in the spin wars. My take on it is that people weren't voting for the specific initiatives so much, but against the idea of this special election.
So far though, if you're a Democrat, you're happy with the results here and nationally. You can feel the tide turning and hopefully this electoral momentum (and the Republicans propensity to get indicted) can carry onto 2006 and we can get some real victories and make progress in the upcoming years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home