Monday, March 20, 2006

Political Housekeeping

I've been trying to wrap my head around what's been going on in the world over these past couple of weeks and it's been getting me down.
With the 3rd anniversary of the Iraq War, the Russ Feingold Censure resolution (and subsequent fear of it by the DC Democratic party), and the "discussion" with my bro-in-law over political issues ringing around in my brain, I just couldn't figure out a way to express the frustration I was feeling.
If the president was still experiencing 60%+ approval ratings, I would just blame it on those misguided fools who still support the guy. But that's not the case.

There's a strong feeling of frustration among the activists, bloggers, and pretty much everyone else that's paying attention, here among the left. It's as if the party leaders in DC still think that playing nice and accommodating will be the ticket to success in November.
The Daily Show had a great bit on this last week. They interviewed one of these "political consultants" and the guy basically said "well, the Republicans are doing so crappy, it's better to sit back and watch them implode."

The response?
"I was getting mugged the other day, and this bum was hitting me over the head with a bottle. I just lay there and did nothing and thought, 'Eventually he will hit himself with that bottle.' And he did--it was after I was unconscious, but I think I won that battle."


Now on to the Feingold Censure resolution:
Do it. There is no down-side.
All I've been hearing for the past 2 years is that the Democrats don't stand for anything. They have no ideas. All not true, of course, but now that a Democrat is standing for something and presenting bold ideas, it's like the party establishment has a case of the vapours and needs to sit down for a spell. Ok, let me turn it over to some people who can express this better than I.

Digby
One of my favorite writers.
Here's his take on the latest "air assault on Iraq" from the other day.

Here's another perspective on this:
From the Unclaimed Territory blog by Glenn Greenwald
Here's Glenn on his latest project...

That's basically how I'm feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home