Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Truth In Advertising (Restaurant Review)

House of Prime Rib.

That pretty much says it all. You want some prime rib, go to the House Of.
You don't want/like prime rib? Watch the rest of your tablemates eat it and hope that the fish special is ok, but don't get your hopes up too high.

It's one of those "Ye Olde Tavern" themed places. Very old-school. Men's Clubby. You can feel the scotch and sexual harassment when you slide in to the worn leather booths.
The service was good. Quite professional and a little bit showy. They prepare the salad (included in the price of the meal) at the table...tossed and spun, holding the dressing high and letting it slowly enter the lettuce. And you get a new chilled fork too.

I love prime rib, and they do it well here. My bro-in-law got an end piece and it looked and tasted great, while I had a normal rare-looking hunk and loved it as well.
Thick, juicy and served with two sides (creamed spinach and mashed potatoes) you'll never go hungry at the HoPR. Another side dish included is the Yorkshire Pudding. Basically a savory pancake-ish item. Not as exciting as it sounds, but not bad either.
But it's not cheap. About 30 bucks for a nice piece of meat.

They serve the prime rib from these giant metal carts that look like a cross between the Hindenburg and an Airstream Trailer.
The cart is wheeled to the table and the prime rib is cut right there for you. It's a cool concept.


Overall a very satisfying experience. Well, there was the heated political argument between me and my brother-in-law.
My BIL is a Republican, but is not too happy with Dubya at this point, nor is he happy with much of the GOP these days. He's slowly coming around and we'll take everything we can at this point. He's more of an old-school Libertarian now.
See, he believes that France is our "enemy" while I said that he listens to too much talk radio. I kept saying "seriously, France is our enemy?"
Eventually I got him to admit his feelings were quite Jr. High School regarding this.
Basically his point was "France thinks it's all hot 'n shit but who do they think they are!?"
The louder "discussion" was based on the NSA spy scandal. I was surprised to hear him and his wife both say "I don't have a problem with the gov't spying on US citizens without any warrants. And if you have a problem with it you must have something to hide."


All I countered with was the Constitution, Soviet Russia, Law and Order (not the show) and basically said that I wasn't so afraid of terrorists that I'm willing to ignore existing laws and put every US citizen under suspicion.
I even asked the Ben Franklin question:
"Are you willing to give up Freedom and Liberty for security?"
Yes, was the answer. I was shocked and quite upset, but after 5 minutes of cooling off time and dessert, we moved to a subject that we could all agree upon:
Gay Marriage (we're all in favor of it).

So, in summary, HoPR:
A great place to take visitors. I go about every other year.

NSA spying scandal:
Illegal

Gay Marriage:
A-ok

France:
I have no problems with sovereign nations (with democratically elected governments) looking out for themselves and their citizens.

1 Comments:

At 3/03/2006 01:15:00 PM, Blogger penny said...

Great review! I'll have to bring my parents here when they visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home