Thursday, December 29, 2005

Still Here

Just wanted to tell all my fan (Hi Wifey!) that I'm alive and relatively healthy, back from a SoCal trip over the holidays, fresh off a week (pre-holiday) of bed and painkillers due to a whack back, and chock full of restaurant reviews and mini-harangues, all disorganized and not quite fully fleshed out...

As a tease, I'll give you a brief synopsis of a new restaurant in the Marina.
In the former space of Cafe Marimba, we now have Mamacita.
Still a Mexican restaurant.
Still a hoppin' bar and hangout for the young marina types.
Still hard to get in to at night.

But...

NOT Still brightly painted and festive (it was reminiscent of Day of the Dead)
NOT Still featuring dumb-distant servers, hired on appearance over skill
NOT Still serving lunch (the one I'm most bitter about)

Ok, how about the food?
To be honest, I can't remember too much. Sorry, but it was in early December when we went. The overall impression was that it was good, not great, but could be as we continue to go through the menu. I remember the Tortilla Soup being outstanding and the Ahi Tartare being better that usual. Nothing else stands out.
Don't get me wrong, we're looking forward to another visit.
We want to try the Chilequiles (tortilla chips with Chipotle cream sauce and roasted chicken) and few of the entrees. You really can't get a good "feel" of a place, especially a new restaurant, on only one visit.

Tomorrow (hopefully) I'll tell you about this little place in Buena Park, California, right next to Knott's Berry Farm (UGH!) that I ate in last week.
A quiet little "mom and pop" place I like to call TGI Fridays!

PS...according to Mamacita's website (and confirmed by an employee) they will be serving lunch and brunch shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home