Friday, August 19, 2005

An Appeal

Sure, like most rational, thinking, non-reactionary people, I try to keep an open mind and look at many sides of situations before I fly off the handle and scream my beliefs to strangers on the street.
So, I've been keenly watching the debate over teaching evolutionary theory in public schools. I've always held the opinion that evolutionary theory should be taught in science classes, but I'm starting to wonder if it's the "only" theory that explains how Man (the animal) came to be. So imagine my surprise when researching this topic, I came to find out that for some odd reason, people think that there are only TWO sides to this argument. Sure, Evolution has been accepted as fact in the scientific community, but who do these scientists think they are anyway, and what makes them qualified to talk about science?
I looked at the "other" side and found it lacking. Some old book, written, what, 4000 years ago? And that was it. No testing, no observable results, just "because it says so" and I cannot really get behind something like that.

So, I figured, that was it...but then I read about the OTHER, other side of this debate. No, not the Intelligent Falling vs. Gravity debate now going on at religious schools in the Midwest, but the newly published treatise on the previously unknown Flying Spaghetti Monster, so eloquently described in this open letter to the Kansas School Board.

It really makes you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home